Punks and Poetesses

Women Onstage in the Long 18th Century

"A woman write a play! Out upon it, out upon it, for it cannot be good..."

~ Margaret Cavendish's "Bell in Campo"

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

My blog begins...

Hello English 6365,
Here are some photos of the Georgian theatre I visited in Bath a couple years ago... the culmination of our period's penchant for large, extravagant, boxlike spaces. It's from a later time than the original Restoration tennis court theatres of course, but I find it helpful to get a general visualization.
Looking forward to next week's videos (can you tell I'm a fan of multimedia)!
~Kari

5 Comments:

Blogger Miriam Jones said...

Lovely! Did you see a play there? Do they still mount productions?

10:59 PM  
Blogger Brenna said...

So beautiful. You must have felt so awed to see it. Wow!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Kari1212 said...

Yes they do still have shows here (at the Theatre Royal) but I didn't get the chance to see one. I did however get to attend a lecture on Austen and the Gothic Novel, as well as a recreated Victorian parlour game where the "guests" acted out little scenes from Austen's books (highly amusing)! Bath has an Austen festival every September actually, I really hope to go back someday.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, an Austen festival??

2:36 PM  
Blogger X said...

I love the photo of the ceiling! Do you have any more?

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home