Punks and Poetesses

Women Onstage in the Long 18th Century

"A woman write a play! Out upon it, out upon it, for it cannot be good..."

~ Margaret Cavendish's "Bell in Campo"

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Jane Eyre humour!!! (not 18th century material, I know)

I couldn't resist taking this link from Andrea's page about the new "Illustrated Jane Eyre" by comic-book artist Dame Darcy, whose "neo-Victorian, funky, Addams-family-style creations have won her a cult following." Governess Gone Goth... ha ha ha ha!!!!!


Since we're on the subject... I wrote this for the amusement of a fellow bookish friend of mine... thought I'd spread the nerdiness...

"Ode on a Governess"

Mad, Mad, Woman upstairs
She burns my bed down, I am scared.
But he, he, is so broody and hot
He fell off his horse and into my heart.
Oh gods! We cannot be one
I must run, far away from here
But wait, he's calling me,
With supernatural charm
I hear my name, and I must return...
He's blind but he's mine, now we are free
Our love burns through the ashes.
Too bad about his hand though.

~FINIS~

3 Comments:

Blogger Miriam Jones said...

"He fell off his horse and into my heart."

I love it.

11:02 PM  
Blogger X said...

Oh ... my.

You owe me a new keyboard, since I just sprayed juice all over mine reading that poem!

(Just kidding, but not about the juice.)

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hee hee. that's so great...

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home