Punks and Poetesses

Women Onstage in the Long 18th Century

"A woman write a play! Out upon it, out upon it, for it cannot be good..."

~ Margaret Cavendish's "Bell in Campo"

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Parental Affection in Baillie's "The Tryal"

Hi guys, this week I'm blogging as well as presenting on The Tryal and not Count Basil or De Monfort, since we've been sticking to comedies thus far (and unfortunately there's only so much time at this time of year).

~ ~ ~ ~

We've been talking all term about how especially early eighteenth century drama tends to lack valid parental figures, a lot like an episode of Friends where you have a world run by a bunch of of sexy, well-dressed twenty-somethings with seemingly no family ties.

I find it fascinating how these later plays are starting to shift towards familial realism, towards the inclusion of a wider family sphere and not just young people in isolation. I was really struck by how both the opening and closing scenes of Joanna Baillie's The Tryal (1798) are ones of believable familial affection. I liked how the hero of the piece, Harwood, befriends the parent figure as well as the object of his affection: "her uncle comes this way. He look'd so kindly at her, I could not help loving him; he must be a good man, I'll make up to him" (I.I.143-145). I found Mr. Withrington a refreshing character... no Mr. Bennet, but a lot more realistic and likeable compared to many a father figure we've seen.

So when I read Catherine Burroughs' article "'A Reasonable Woman's Desire': The Private Theatrical and Joanna Baillie's The Tryal," I hadn't picked up on Burrough's argument that Withrington is ultimately a figure of patriarchal domination. Burroughs says that “Agnes abandons the trajectory of her original improvisation in order to devise another plot responsive to her uncle’s concerns” (Burroughs 196). True, but I don't think she would have agreed to the second trial if she herself hadn't agreed with her uncle's concerns. I disagreed with Burroughs that the second trial “can be seen as Withrington’s unnecessary interference in Agnes’s private improvisation” (Burroughs 198). I felt like it was necessary. If Harwood had married Agnes after the first trial, I would have felt really unsatisfied.

According to Burroughs, Withrington objects to the marriage of Agnes and Harwood and insists on the second trial because he questions “the degree to which Harwood’s masculine identity can be regarded as secure” (Burroughs 199). This isn't what I saw the purpose of the second trial to be. Rather than a lack of gendered manliness, I thought that it was a lack of basic nongendered human integrity that Withrington feared of Harwood.

I read the line, “If he loves you after this, his love is not worth the having” (5.1.91-92) to mean that her uncle worries that Harwood’s is an unhealthy love with no moral backbone. I saw this as a wise parental act, not a patriarchal power trip. In short, I didn't read the second trial as her uncle's insistence on taking away Agnes' agency, but an act truly “out of concern for her welfare” (Burroughs 196).

Thoughts? Was I the only one who didn't read patriarchal oppression and metatheatrics into the ending?

~ ~ ~ ~
A photo of the Pump Room in Bath!

Mr. Opal: "a vulgar looking devil... insisted upon going with us to the pump-room: men of fashion, you know, are always plagued with paltry fellows dangling after them." (I.II.109-111)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Kari --

I actually really really agree with you. I sort of blogged about this a little bit, and I also picked out the same lines you did in Act I, scene i where parental love is a reason to believe someone a worthy man. I think that's cool. It's the first time we've seen parenthood constructed as a role that can be performed well AND tells us something about the parent. Previously, parenting (more correctly guardianship) has been something you ARE rather something you DO. I find the shift really interesting.

I'm looking forward to your seminar.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Kirstie said...

I agree with you Kari, to a large extent. I see how we can read Mr. Withrington as a patriarchal authority, but I don't think that we necessarily have to read him that way. As I wrote about _The Tryal_ in relation to _The Belle's Stratagem_, I came to feel that the reading of Withrington only as a patriarchal authority is quite limiting. Similarly, last week I felt that reading _The Belle's Stratagem_ as reflecting a generalized eighteenth century anxiety about subjectivity and identity is ultimately more fruitful that a strictly feminist reclamation of the story. I think that, actually, the two kinds of critique need to happen in tandem. It is clearly inadequate to read literature (especially of earlier periods) without asking questions about women's representation. However, I find criticism that ends there very narrow, because there are literary and artistic merits to works that need to be explored well beyond a simple analysis of the power structures within the work, I feel. And now you are pointing out another angle by raising questions on how parenting is viewed in this play.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is going to be a wonderful discussion tomorrow. I also wondered about Burroughs assertions; it sounded good the first read through (I read the article first) but when I got to the play I started to question it. I blogged about Mr. Withrington's symathetic characteristics as opposed to his nieces more manipulative ways. It could be argued that they are the domineering ones. But I'm not going to be the one to write that paper.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home